Download and reuse of high resolution images
JPEG2000 is an open, international standard for image compression based on wavelet theory. All the images in our image database were scanned at very high resolutions of up to 12000 pixels resulting in very high memory requirements. To be able to download and view the high resolution images specialized JPEG2000 software is required.
System requirementsThe JPEG2000 software tools below were tested with the following system requirements:
- Windows PC (WindowsXP, Windows Vista (32 Bit or 64 Bit), Windows 7) or Intel Mac (Minimum Mac OS from 10.4)or GNU/Linux (version 2.6.x kernels or better)
- Minimum of 4 GB RAM
- Minimum of 100 MB free diskspace
- Adobe Photoshop CS5 is the tool of choice in our scanning labs [commercial].
- IrfanView software with all JPEG2000 Plugins [free].
- HiView was developed by the University of Arizona to explore high resolution scans of Martian surfaces [free].
Need more technical assistance? Contact us.
Ghent University Library tried to make sure that all necessary rights are secured, but could not always determine the origin of some reproduced objects with certainty. If you believe that we have made a mistake, please contact us so that we can correct the oversight.
With this image database, Ghent University Library wants to offer access to a broad range of information and materials to the wider community, including certain materials that may contain language, images or texts that some people may find offensive. You should view such materials in the historical context in which they were created. However, it is by no means the intention of Ghent University Library to offend the religious, political, human or social sensitivities of anyone by publishing this material.
Ghent University Library accepts no responsibility for misuse of the images or for rights or claims arising from the use of the images.
Images of the Ghent University Library image database are available with the Creative Commons non-commercial, attribution, share-alike license 2.0 Belgium (CC BY-NC-SA 2.0), unless indicated otherwise.
The user is free:
- To download, copy, distribute and transmit images
- To remix - to adapt the downloaded images into new creative works
Under the following conditions:
- Attribution - You must attribute the images to Ghent University Library (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the work).
- Noncommercial - You may not use the images for commercial purposes.
- Share Alike - If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.
For commercial use, contact Ghent University Library